- You can buy the malt from any big supermarket, if they don’t have it, you can order it. The best brands I can think of are Blue Ribbon and Red Top. The malt is liquid and comes in a can, the yeast comes in cakes.
- To every can of malt you add 5 gallons of warm water, dissolve 5 pounds and add 1 cake of yeast. Mix all this together in a barrel made of plastic, stainless steel or copper, under no circumstances use aluminum.
- Keep it covered with cheese cloth to keep the bugs out. Keep it in a warm place till it ferments.
- Afterwards, you can cook it off in your still and have the smoothest whiskey you have ever tasted.
- After you run the whiskey, it is clear like water. You can color it by taking a piece of dry fruit wood or maple, burn the fruit wood over a flame till it is blackened real good, then drop the burned fruit-wood in your clear whisky. In a few days the whiskey will be the color of store-bought whiskey.